Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Silver Bullet

Sometimes weird things happen with trucks. For example, with the truck that I rented to pick up the first grapes of the season, the sauvignon blanc. It was a pretty smooth trip, no real problems, but there was this noise. Every time I started from a stop, there was a little thunk, like something being moved by the acceleration and hitting something else. It sounded like metal on metal somewhere over my head. I looked everywhere - on the roof of the cab, in the cab, under the seats - nothing. Then, when I took the truck back to the rental place and was making sure I had gotten everything out of the cab, there it was: a can of Coors Light under the seat, in a spot where it could roll back and forth on the floor, hitting the metal bars that kept it from rolling out under my feet. Thunk.....thunk.

"Ah HA!" I thought. The gods have just handed me, at the beginning of Harvest, the beverage that I will use to celebrate the end of Harvest!

No comments: